How to Photograph Paintings
January 29, 2014
Whether you are an artist who wants to sell one of their paintings oversees or a college student who wants their parents to see their painting from 200 miles away- having the ability to photograph a painting can be helpful. When you choose the right camera, wait until the time is right, and find the right place to photograph – you can create the perfect photograph. Below are some top tips on how to properly photograph a painting.
1) Choose the right camera- Before you take a photograph of a painting, you’ll have to find the right camera. The amount of money that you spend on your camera depends on its purpose. If you are a professional artist who wants to take pictures of their paintings in order to sell their artwork overseas, you’ll probably want to go with a high-end camera. There are more affordable options for someone who wants to use a photograph of a painting to decorate their living room or to send to a family member/friend. You might also want to look for a tripod. You should look for tripods that are both stable and compact. Even though heavy tripods are heavy to carry around, they can provide the most stability.
2) Wait until the timing and lighting is right- Because photographs of paintings look the best when they are taken in natural light, you will want to wait until the time is right. A problem with using the flash feature on your camera is that it can create a distracting glare in your photograph. The sunlight can provide your painting with a non-distracting soft glow. You should avoid taking the picture during night time when you will be forced to use the flash feature. One thing that we often look at is what type of painting too. If we are photographing wall art, it is best to take it in a gloomy setting or low light, as the bright colors stand out more. For a traditional painting, we suggest taking it when it is just medium lighting if at all possible.
3) Find the right place to photograph your painting- After you have chosen the right camera and the time is right, you have to decide where you what to place your painting. If you are taking a photograph of a piece that is 10×14 inches or smaller, you have the option of placing the photograph on the floor and shooting from above. This is not the best option if you want to enhance certain types of paintings and colors. It is easy to place a painting up against the wall or create a white wall/backdrop. You will probably want to create a white wall or backdrop if you have distracting or dirty walls.
4) Take your shot without shaking- Even though it isn’t easy, you are going to have to try and shoot the photograph straight on. If you or the angle on the lens is slanted, the painting won’t look its best. Try to make sure that your hands stay stable and aren’t shaking. You might want to take multiple shots if you want a perfect outcome.
5) Frame your photograph- Framing your artwork can add formality and color. Frames can also help the audience focus on the painting. It reinforces the fact that the painting should be the center of attention.
Choosing the right camera, using natural light, hanging your painting on the wall, and framing your photograph can help you create a new version of a painting. Whether you are a professional artist or someone who just wants to decorate their home, following these tips can help you shoot the perfect photograph of a painting.
Photographing Off Shore Oil Rigs
January 14, 2014
Photographing Off Shore Oil Rigs
There are some photography assignments that take extra planning, and will need unique skills and abilities. Photographing offshore oil rigs is an unusual job, but one that can be incredibly rewarding and produce incredible shots. You need to understand everything that is involved before you agree to take on the project.
The risk of explosions and fires is high on the oil rig and due to the risk of flammable gas entering the oil well, all normal electronic equipment is banned. This included smart phones and standard cameras. The camera that you want to use on the oil rig will need to have a how work permit to ensure that it is suitable.
You need to enter your camera into the permit system, which is operated and coordinated by one person. This guarantees that all potential hazards are contained and accountable at all times, reducing the risk to the people on the oil rig. Once you have the permit, you will also need to carry a gas detection device at all times when taking the pictures. Between the high powered air compressors and the huge machinery, this is a very dangerous job.
This device provides a unique warning is flammable gas has been detected; however, there are alternatives that you can use. Explosion proof cameras are not as exciting as they sound, but they do allow you to move freely and take the photos that you want. These cameras are designed not to act as an ignition source on the oil rig.
Every aspect of the camera is designed to be safe, and ensure that nothing can accidently start a fire. With airtight seals, limiting devices and level sensors you are safe to photograph everywhere on the oil rig. The downside is the quality of photos that you can produce, and the cost of these cameras is incredibly high.
The advantage with being a photographer on an oil rig is that you can charge a lot more for your work as this field is considered specialist. Not only will you experience some incredible moments, but you will be there to capture it with pictures. You need to ensure that you are prepared both mentally and physically to join the oil rig crew.
Once you have found the correct equipment, and understand the risks, you can make a career out of this style of photography. The photos that you take will not only be used by the oil rig company, but also for other media platforms. If you have an eye for an unusual image, and want to broaden your horizon, this job may be perfect for you.
You will need to take photos of unusual items such as machinery, workers and company officials that are visiting. Your day to day tasks will vary, and no two images will be the same, which makes your job even more interesting. Industrial photographers are highly sought after, and you can ask for a higher fee before you even set foot on the oil rig. Not only will you be paid well, but your job will be exciting and rewarding.
Fitness for the Photographer
January 8, 2014
As a photographer I have had my share of work related injuries. Despite it looking like an easy job, being on your feet for hours and being in compromising positions takes a toll on my body. Even learning how to surf to capture pictures of top surfers. One way I try to reduce stress and keep fit is my using an inversion table.
Inversion Tables and I have a very close relationship from years. It has made my life simpler and provided me joy and enthusiasm to enjoy each and every day of my life.Keeping my body fit had never been easy for me. Busy routing life of mine always had haunted me from the start of my career. Going to a gym center in the morning by keeping aside all other family works is a tough task. Even though I was able to make there for a day or two I was not able to maintain a consistency in my workouts. After I started using inversion tableI swayed goodbye to my gym sessions.You ask me Why would I? If you get an alternative that complements your lifestyle and as well provides the necessary workout then why wouldn’t you? Now I can do all the vital body exercises at my home. Whether it’s exercising my abs or strengthening my legs I can easily achieve through my Body Champ IT807. In addition, to inversion table I have a treadmill that which completesmy daily workout.
What makes Body Champ a real Champ?
The Body champ inversion table features a lightweight portable frame. With a maximum inversion angle of 90 degrees the inversion angle can be controlled with either the two position limiter bar or the adjustable strap underneath the table. You can loosen the strap all the way to experience a full inversion. Also experienced workers can try out extreme workouts like inverted situps and crunches. While using the limiter bar simply select the one of two levels and insert the bar through the hole. Then Lock it in place through a spring loaded clamp. You can also remove the limiter bar completely to set up a custom angle using the adjustable strap. The body champ inversion table has a high range of 4 foot 7 to 6 foot 8 inches. The seven position ankle rovers grip the ankles for extra support and safety. Body champ is easy to fold and light weight enough to carry or slide between sessions.
Benefits I found
It took me only 45 minutes for the first assembly. The steel frame of the equipment comes already assembled which cuts down the time or complexity. Additionally, body champ inversion tabledoes not require any type of extra tools to setup. So unlike other equipment you don’t have to run to a nearby hardware store and spend extra investments. The comfort level of this inversion table is splendid. Thanks to its quality craftsmanship that provides an impressive quality of backing and support. Also backing stays very sturdy and supporting at varying degrees of inversions. There are no problems of losing stability and imbalance. I love the ankle rollers which are puffed with thick foam at the center. I found it very comfortable. This avoids the problems of soaring when doing crunches and situps. Moreover, you are provided with ankle lock that keeps your legs intact avoiding the slippery while at extreme angles of inversion. One thing you need to keep mind is to make sure that the button at this lock is securely slid back into the notches before practicing. I sometimes found the lock was not fully inserted into the notch while using it.
Overall I found the Inversion table very useful. Not to forget you are provided with 1 year frame warranty and 90 days of parts replacement.