Canon Deluxe Photo Backpack 200EG Review
October 2, 2018
Recently I experienced quite a disaster – all of my photographs from an on location nature shoot were lost when I dropped my camera when getting out of the car. As a result I decided to invest in a camera bag. After a great deal of exploration online, I came to the conclusion that the Canon Deluxe Photo Backpack 200EG, and I am so pleased with it that I have elected to write this review.
What to Look for in a Camera Bag
There are a few ideals that you need to look for when buying a backpack for the purposes of transporting a camera, as I discovered when researching my various options:
- You want it to be comfortable to carry
- You also want it to be durable as these bags are not cheap and you want it to last for a while
- Ideally it should be water resistant in case you drop the backpack near water water-resistant
- If possible stick to those options that have a non-slip bottom
- Although this is a fairly tall order, shock-resistant backpacks are also recommended
- Another important thing to look for is a backpack that will take your camera and all of its accessories easily
How Does the Canon Deluxe Photo Backpack Compare?
The Canon Deluxe Photo certainly meets the requirement of being comfortable. This backpack comes standard with padded back and shoulder straps so that you can carry it without feeling uncomfortable. My previous backpack (which was not specifically designed to carry cameras) really made my back chafe considerably and I usually ended up carrying it in my hand, which is what led to the accident that I referred to earlier. The Canon Delux currently comes in one color scheme only – black with a green accent – which makes it look a little like a millitary backpack when you carry it around. Some people may like this simplicity while others may prefer more color options.
Because you tend to pay a premium for these backpacks I kept my eyes open for options that included durability. I found that this backpack is “urethane coated for extra durability”. Urethane is a substance very similar to rubber which is used in order to keep water out. It also lasts for a very long time, and, after researching the qualities of the substance, I decided that it was the best backpack option for me.
Keeping Out the Damp
One of the main reasons that this particular backpack appealed to me is that it is designed to be water-resistant and keep out the damp. The backpack is made of waterproofed polyester and nylon, meaning that my camera is safe from that particular danger as long as it is in the backpack. On Amazon.com the backpack is specifically listed as being water repellant which puts my mind at ease.
One of the key features of this backpack is that it is designed to take the Canon EOS SLR camera itself as well as several of its accessories. In addition to the camera the backpack can also contain:
- Two smaller SLR camera bodies
- 3-4 lenses
- Additional small accessories
Keeping Things Organized
The backpack is designed in such a way that it is easy to keep the contents of it organized. There are a number of compartments which I found to be extremely useful and in addition there are straps for a tripod at the bottom. This is extremely convenient as the pack I used before did not have any room for my tripod and so I had to carry it separately. In addition to my extra lenses I can also transport my tripod with this pack.
When I look for a product I always read the reviews that previous customers have written on Amazon.com. The reviews for this backpack were mostly excellent. Here is an example of what customers wrote about the bag:
“Great bag for hiking/traveling use if you always carry around your camera you like I do.”
I am personally inclined to agree with this I and my family enjoy hiking and other similar outdoor activities very much and spend a great deal of our time documenting our adventures through photography.
I also always look at the bad reviews to pick up on any trends. In total there were 82 two star and one star reviews on Amazon. Although I am happy with the bag, there have been a few complaints:
- The bag is known for breaking while being carried, dropping its contents and often breaking essential accessories
- Some reviewers have complained that it is not very easy to get your camera and its accessories out of the bag quickly when you need to
- There was also a complaint regarding the fact that the bag puts pressure on your neck rather than on your shoulders
At the moment on Amazon you can buy this product for $39.95 which gives you a saving of $35.05 (47%). You can also get it shipped free of charge with Super Saver Shipping. Considering what you get I felt that this price was extremely reasonable.
Where can I Find out More?
To find out more I suggest going to the following websites:
- Amazon.com – reviews and a lot of helpful information about the backpack
- The Canon website – they are the supplier of the product and will therefore have more information
- BestBackpack.com – a great backpack review site
Where Can I Buy this Product?
Although it is possible to buy this product simply by going to a Canon store or any large retailer that stocks general camera equipment, I found that n Amazon.com the price was much lower. In fact there was no sensible reason for me to buy it anywhere else but online. Shopping online has always been, for me anyway, the best method through which to make a purchase, and as usual Amazon.com did not disappoint. I received my product quickly and it was complete and undamaged when it arrived.